Last Saturday my husband and I decided to spend date night shopping around Costco, which was surprisingly mellow at 6 p.m. I came across a package of millet and brown rice ramen noodles that looked like it might fulfill my never-ending craving for pasta while not being totally unhealthy.
I came up with this cold noodle salad that is perfect for a weekday lunch.
Cold Asian Noodle Salad
- 2 bricks of millet and brown rice ramen (or regular cheap ramen would do fine, just toss out the spice packet)
- 6 mini bell peppers, julienned
- 3 green onions, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced English cucumber
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Boil the noodles according the package directions. In the meantime, whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar.
Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking. Toss noodles, bell peppers, green onion, cilantro and cucumber in a mixing bowl. Pour dressing over the noodles and toss well. Serve right away or refrigerate until lunch time.